Friday 16 September 2011

This here London Town

Hello! This is a Blog! Woah!

Ok, My name is Jon, and I am studying at the University of Aberdeen for around nine months. Normally I attend Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, MN.

As I write this post, I am sitting on a train to Edinburgh, Scotland, from London, England. I will now attempt to describe the last day/ few days (I cant tell which) of my life. They have been severely sleep deprived, so bear with me here.

September 13th-
This was the day before I left. I, on this day, my first and most difficult goodbye. Brie if you are reading this  just know that I miss you terribly. Everyone else, eh. Just kidding. But that was my hardest goodbye, made all the more difficult by the fact that I saw her again in a few short hours because my dumb ass forgot my wallet in her room. go me. After I left Brie at Gustavus I went home. Most normal people would have at this time, slept. I did not. I thought that perhaps, just maybe, this time, I could beat jetlag. I could beat it with a stick and dance a triumphant dance naked over its mangled corpse as I shouted my victory to all the Brits that cared to watch this manly display.

Needless to say Jetlag won.

I did not sleep the night before, nor did I sleep on the ensuing plane ride, but not for lack of trying (the inflight movie was Thor for Christs sake! I couldn't sleep through Thor???) I just could not fall asleep. So I had not slept in approx. 48 hours when I arrived for my first and only day in London. It was 5:20 in the morning.

Fuck.

So i decided that I would soldier on through my foggy weariness and enjoy the day in spite of my terrible inability to make rational, well-informed decisions. My first stop of the day was my Hostel to check into my room. At 6 AM. Sleep-deprived mistake #1. The room wasn't ready, so I asked for a key to the baggage room, cause forget carrying all my shit around London all day. Sleep deprived mistake #2 was leaving my stuff in the baggage room OUTSIDE OF A LOCKER!! because 'I didn't have any coins'... Ask for change dumbass! Dont worry, my stuff was all fine, but this was a terribly, terribly stupid move. Dont ever do it. Ever. People at a hostel may seem really nice and helpful and that one eastern european guy might have the eyes of an angel, but do not trust them with your personal belongings. Duh.

So after this I went on to 'The City' of London, meaning the old town around Westminster. This was seriously awesome. Look at some of my pictures on Facebook if you want to see what I saw, if we are not friends on Facebook, why exactly are you reading this? MY personal favorite moment was when I was looking for Big Ben and couldn't find it (remember I havent slept in almost three days before you make fun of me here) and then heard it ringing noon and managed to snap off a picture of Big Ben at exactly Noon with the London eye in the background.

Seriously cool.Ill try and figure out how to put a finished product of that picture on this blog, because I cleaned itup a bit in editing and it looks seriously sweet. I Did it!!

Now some smarmy 'im to good for this' Englishman is coming to collect my ticket, so forgive the interruption of my train of thought.

.
..
...
....
.....
....
...
..
.


Bonus points! I have finally learned an English accent! This makes the trifecta! Scottish, Irish, and English accents are now all within my cognitive grasp! I actually had a Londoner ask if I was BRitish at the Tower of London yesterday. Ego boost.

I also had fish and chips yesterday, which was terrible, probably because I dont like Fish... But the Lasagna I had at Lunch was excellent, especially with the big pint of Guinness that I ordered. (sorry Mum, that didn't take long)

Well, I think thats it for now. Im off to Edinburgh for the day, should get there around noon, might even go out tonight. (I was asleep by 8:00pm) last night. More annoying words and pretty pictures to come.

Love to all, and especially a few,

Jon

P.S.

If any of you grammar and spelling Nazis (you know who you are(Anthony(Just in case that was too subtle))) snark on this post, It was written on a bumpy, jumpy,  moving train, so fuck off.

No comments:

Post a Comment